Monday, November 29, 2010

Pre-Food?

This blog is coming to you live from Chem is Try, on a loaner laptop. Not my own!
I should just call this class Blog is Try. All I do is blog.
Today is the Monday post Thanksgiving break. I won't hold you in suspense any longer...my break was off the chain. It was so wonderful to see my friends and be reunited with some of the most wonderful people that God ever made. 
We didn't do much. The most "epic" thing done was participating in the materialistic American holiday that is BLACK FRIDAY.

A few of my friends and I arrived at Target in Jonesboro at 12:00 am and stayed until the doors of Target opened at 4:00 am. Other than my friend Chad, we had no plans to purchase anything. We don't have any money so that really hinders the process of participating in the point of the event. Nevertheless, this past black friday marks the second year of our growing tradition.
Here is a photo of the event. 
There were more than the four of us throughout the night and we thought Katie (the one in the blue) would stick it out with us, but being the flaky flake she is, she left at about 3:00 am. 
Let's think about black friday for a second. It is a day where Americans loose sleep in order to purchase things. My friend Chad made me think about something. What if you tried to explain the concept of black friday to a person in a third world country. "Oh yeah, it is a day where you get up early in order to get some really awesome sales, spend a couple hundred dollars, and stay up all night." What? First of all they probably would not know what a "sale" was. The concept of hundreds of dollars would most likely be quite foreign and staying up all night is not necessarily foreign, but it just kind of adds to the idiocy of it all. Further than that, what if you tried to explain the concept of an appetizer to a starving person in a third world country. "Um, an appetizer isn't the food, it's the food you eat before the food....It's not really a part of the meal...it's just before..." Talk about mind blowing. Our culture is ridiculous! We have so much!
I was also taken hostage, exhausted, lazy, and faced with a strange Ukrainian man all during the break. Only two weeks until Christmas break.
K. Jack

1 comment: